Lansing, MI/ February 4 / Governor Lets Them Play… Finally
Governor Whitmer lifts ban on high-school sports. Denies that pressure from Legislature, parents and athletes played any role in her reversal. Timeline suggests that even the most partisan elected officials can be pressured to achieve a desired result through a concerted effort by citizenry and other branches of government.
- 01/27 – Letter to Director of the Department of Health and Human Service
- 01/27 – Senate blocked 13 of the governor’s appointments and threatened to withhold more than $2 billion in education funding unless the governor transfers power for school closures to local health departments.
- 01/28 – a bipartisan Senate panel, which included two Democrats, voted unanimously to pass a non-binding resolution urging Whitmer to allow indoor contact sports
- 01/29 – Governor delays return to contact sports by at least 3 weeks.
- 01/30 – Let Them Play Rally @ Capitol attended by thousands
- 02/02 – Let Them Play Announces Lawsuit
- 02/03 – Senate blocks additional 5 Whitmer nominees
- 02/04 – Governor lifts ban