ANN ARBOR, MI/ Sept 8 – 12 5:00 AM / U of M Graduate Employees’ Organization Strike
Original strike ran from Sept. 8th – 12th. 1,000 members of GEO conducted an illegal strike and associated protests at various locations on the University of Michigan campus. Five days featured events chosen to bring together several groups and causes.
- Sept 8th Picketing began at five major campus construction sites to garner support of building trade unions.
- Sept 11th All Campus Labor Council held Zoom meeting attended by representatives from GEO, the Lecturers’ Employee Organization, the Michigan Nurses Association and other unions
- Sept. 12th Michigan Union Protest was led by a new student activism group called Students Demand Representation. 250 protesters marched from the Diag to the Michigan Union, then marched towards the Mosher-Jordan dining hall to support MDining workers
- Universal right to work remotely
- Childcare subsidies
- Unarming and 50% defunding of the campus’s Public Safety Officers and cutting ties completely with Ann Arbor police and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Timeline and funding extensions, an emergency grant
- Flexible leases and rent freezes at U-M housing.
No injuries, violence or arrests reported
University Key Issues Page: https://publicaffairs.vpcomm.umich.edu/geo-labor-union-strike/